Monday 26 March 2007

San Carlos de Bariloche


I have arrived to Bariloche after a fantastic bus trip through the Andes. Left Puerto Montt and went through a few small towns on the way to Osorno, then headed towards the mountains. After the Chilean border post we continued over the pass. Had terrific views of the mountains all around, nice forests, running mountain streams and blue lakes.
Bariloche is a nice enough town. Too touristy but appears to be a good place to use as a base to get into the mountains. Have been checking out some treks into the Andes and to stay at a Alpine Club hut for a night or two. Will see how it goes and if I can pack enough food in my pack.

4 comments:

Alcifer said...

What is Alpine Club hut?

Heinz said...

Took me a while to find Bariloch, but if anyone wants to see it it is at -41.120192,-71.328155 with an elevation of 941m. Looks like a great place at a pristine lake. If by any chance I have found the wrong place pls let me know. Cheers.

Louis said...

The Apline Club is a group in Argentina that go climbing to the mountiains and trekking around. They have all these little huts up in the Andes where you can go stay. Some have people looking after them and serve up pizza, others are just a shelter from the wind.

Anonymous said...

I hope that you've put some of that chocolate in the mail for Easter! :)
Han