Friday 27 April 2007

Asuncion

Arrived to Paraguay after a lot of waiting in bus stations and sleepless overnight busses. I crashed near the bus station and enjoyed a good feed with live music and watched boca juniors smash boliviano. I caught the local city bus into town in the morning, left my bags at a fancy residential (like a hotel, but its actually someones house) and checked out town. Saw the senate, parliament, palace and other government buildings. Other than this Asuncion wasnt super impressive. Town was deserted by 6pm, and finding a feed became a real challenge. Eventually a hamburger cooked on the side of a road was had, which had the special Paraguay taste of diesel fumes from the ancient busses that would accelerate up the hill with the exhuaste pipes centimeters from my cooking hamburgers.
The next day I headed out to the resort town (Lonely Planets terrible description) of San Bernadino. This place was well past its glory days. The main beach was delapidated and flooded, and after 2 hours I was on my way back to the city. Caught the overnight bus to Ciudad del Este.

1 comment:

Heinz said...

Such a famous place.... at least its name is mentioned nearly every night on SBS world weather. Perhaps just the wrong time of year?