Tuesday 17 April 2007

Colonia del Sacremento

I left Buenos Aires on Monday morning after a very enjoyable week staying with Any. Many thanks to her and her family for having me stay all this time.
I jumped on the next boat over the river to Colonia del Sacremento, Uruguay. It only took an hour, then another hour to find an ATM that actually worked. I dumped my bags at the Hostel Español then headed into Barrio Histórico which is a UNESCO heritage site protecting the old village that was build by the Portugese to watch to the Spanish, but was then taken over by the Spaniards.
It´s a very nice town, with ancient stone buildings (with walls 1m thick), rough coblestone streets, and little cafés and restaurants on the footpaths. The atmosphere reminds me of Luang Prabang, Laos. It´s very peaceful after all the noise of BsAs.
This morning after breakfast at the panaderia, I climbed up to the top of the lighthouse where I could just make out the skyline of BsAs on the horizon over the river. Then grabbed a pushbike and headed out to the bullring, which appears not to have been used in a few years, then rode around the historic part of town. My bum is now thanking me for riding over all those cobblestone lanes.
Tomorrow I´ll take an early bus to Montevideo, where I will take another bus somewhere else for 2 days. Perhaps up the coast a little towards Punta del Esta or somewhere. I´ll know once I see where the next busses are going!

No comments: