Monday 23 April 2007

Montevideo y Salto

Spent a fantastic few days in Montevideo. Arrived on Thursday night after a day on the beaches in Punta del Esta. I caught up with Meybell, a mexican who is currently on exchange at the university in Uruguay. She was sharing a place with a few other exchange students so I crashed on their floor. We hit up the university´s asado (bbq) for the exchange students that night. Friday I explored the town with Meybell. There wasn´t a whole lot to see in town, but we tried out some new restaurants and found a great one in the centre of town that served up a huge chivito (steak sandwhich) for A$2. In the evening we headed to the Universidad Catòlica to hook ourselves up with tickets to the university´s commencement party later that night. This was held out at the national Polo club (a long way out of town!). Partied all night with live bands and cheap drinks. We also got free umbrellas which was great timing given its been raining almost constantly since.
The next day was wet wet wet, so I walked down to the beach and back, and waited till midnight and headed to the bus stations with the exchange students to catch the overnight bus up to Salto.
I arrived in Salto at 5am in the pitch dark and the heaviest rain I have seen. Sheltered in the bus station for a few hours until it was dry enough to venture out and find a hotel to crash at. By lunch I had made it out of town to the local thermal pools, caught up with other guys again (2 germans, 1 austrian and 3 spanish) for a day of bathing in stinking hot water.
We went into the city for dinner and tracked down the local bar for a cheap cocktail.
This morning I caught the bus over the border to Concordia, Argentina and now waiting the 12 hours for my bus to leave for Corrientes at midnight, on my way up to Asuncion, Paraguay. Hopefully will make it there sometime tomorrow arvo!

No comments: