Sunday 1 April 2007

El Bolson

Saturday morning I caught the bus down to El Bolson to spend the weekend (just 2 hours away). When I arrived the local markets were in full swing, so I checked them out, and got a good feed of empanadas and nice stawberry tart. El Bolson was living up to its reputation as a hippie and organic farmer´s hangout, so I escaped out of town and headed to the top of Cerro Amigo which was only 20 minutes walk.
Then I walked the 5kms to the south of town to reach the 42nd parrellel. This is the most southern point in my trip, so from here its all overland to the equator just past Quito, Ecuador to complete the first leg of my trip.
Dinner was had at the local pizzeria. Given I was hungry and the menu was only in spanish, I went for the pizza with the most toppings. This choice was popular I later saw that almost everyone else in the restaurant was eating the same pizza. Turns out that the pizza toppings consisted of a a thick layer of cheese, 3 thin slices of cheese, and then another extra big layer of cheese. There must be a lot of ways to say cheese in Argentina!
Sunday I walked up to Mirador del Rio Azul which had a nice view of the valley and the mountains to the south. Then jumped on the bus back to Bariloche in time for my Spanish lessons tomorrow, which is also the Malvinas Day public holiday.

4 comments:

Alcifer said...

Mmmm... Cheese...

You're learning Spanish, Louis! Do you know some already? Either from before you departed, or picked up along the way?

Buena suerte!

Louis said...

Nah, I harldy knew a word of spanish, but have picked up a bit just by being over here. Hopefully with a few days of lessons I´ll be able to string a sentance or 2 together.
Atleast we already knew ´cervesa´!

Alcifer said...

For the uninformed, cerveza is Spanish for beer!

Rimsy said...

Well then it's cerveza all round!!! Mind if I borrow your bottle capper again tonight Pink?