Tuesday 10 July 2007

Trujillo

My overnight to Trujillo arrived at 6am so I walked the 30 minutes into the city centre. The Plaza de Armas was still pretty empty so I enjoyed to colourful architecture for a while before finding the bus station for going up north. I dropped my bags off there and had until midnight to checkout town.
The most important site in town is the ruins of Chan Chan. This was the capital of the Chimu kingdom, and covers 20 square kilometers so I caught the bus out there, had a quick look around the site museum then walked the 20 minutes through the ruins to the centre were the most impressive sites have been restored. The site was huge with mud brick ruins stretching as far as you could see in every direction. Intricate carvings lined the walls of the temples and palaces with fish and birds. The fish net style walls were also interesting.
There was supposed to be another set of ruins on the road back to town, so I walked back along but ended up back in Trujillo without seeing any other ruins. Although an armed holdup of some corner store with a dramatic getaway involving hanging onto the side of a bus did make the trip interesting and was the first crime I`ve seen in South America.
I spend the rest of the day in the city centre. Checked out the old city wall but it was not interesting, lunch in the market and got the bus out at 1am to the beach resort of Mancora.

No comments: